Tuesday, November 29, 2011

2nd Annual Challenge of Color blog hop

About a month ago, I signed up for the 2nd Annual Color Blog Hop - Accessories Challenge.  It's the first time I have taken an open challenge, showcasing my work to 52 or more professional jewelry makers.  It's a little nerve racking and exciting for me because I'm self taught.  Besides admitting in my mind I could be an artist more then a crafter, this challenge makes me realize my style of work and perhaps even opened-up my artistic perspective in jewelry making.
   
This challenge consists of picking one color family and a given color palette to make accessories for the blog.  Here's the link to the challenge info: http://treasures-found.blogspot.com/p/take-challenge.html

For myself, I chose "pink".  I'm not really a pink person, my favorite color is blue or teal, and most my bead collection I own are in hue of blues :D.  So I picked Pink to challenge myself.  I received an email with the palette challenge with my chosen color pink, and the theme to inspire the piece.  I was smiling when I saw my theme :D

http://www.design-seeds.com/2011/09/singapore-brights.html
S I N G A P O R E   B R I G H T S 
Jessica Colaluca of Design Seeds has graciously allowed the 54 challengers to use her color palettes from her website: www.designseeds.com *super cool site for color inspiration - check it out  :)

Perhaps Erin from Tesori Trovati Jewelry (organizer of this challenge) found out my hometown, and gave me this theme - Singapore Brights.  In any case, as a proud native of Singapore this made me smile and I really want to do this challenge proud.

Alright without further ado, here's what I made :D
Sing Singapore! Roar Lion City!








I honestly had the hardest time thinking how I could represent Singapore in Pink! (T_T").  I stressed out a little until I found these awesome brass metal lion heads.... they look so cool and too fierce not to use.  It became clear that I needed to celebrate Singapore's iconic symbol, the Merlion.  The Merlion is a lion head attached to the tail of a fish and serves as the mascot for Singapore.  Here's a picture of the majestic creature of Singapore!


Under the skyline, I thought I must use blue to highlight the city, and all the greenery my beautiful country has.  Not forgetting my challenge color Pink, I decided to use pink sequins to add the shimmer and sparkle the city is famous for!  With the theme palette Singapore brights, I've gathered the following beads for my piece -

" Ta-daaa "
I hope you like my piece, I will be listing this piece on my Etsy for sale, hopefully someone like this piece as much as I have in my heart for Singapore :)  I also have free give away worth $75 for this holiday season on my facebook - facebook.com/triptophonic


Also, do check out the other challengers and see what their challenge color palette was, and what artistic accessories they may have created in this Color Blog Hop Event! ~ so much fun...
Go Handmade! 

18 Tari Kahrs ~ Orange ~ Citrus Tones
35 CJ Bauschka ~ Teal ~ Teal Air
41 Jenni Connolly ~ Gray ~ Paw Tones

32 comments:

  1. what fun colours you had, and love the lion focals and how you hi-lited Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that is stunning and outstanding. LOOOOVE that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Miss Angela! I am not sure that we have ever met in person, but I think we 'know' of each other. I did not know your specific heritage, but this one just spoke to me that it was meant to be with you. What a coincidence! You have fashioned a very meaningful piece of jewelry. I love learning about the beautiful city of Singapore and the Merlion. Fascinating! Since we live so close, maybe one day we will actually meet! Until then, welcome to the community and I hope you will come back and participate in more challenges!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! You really rocked this challenge. It's so cool that you got a palette/theme that meant so much to you. You really ran with the inspiration and it came out wonderfully! Congratulations on conquering the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, I LOVE how you represented Singapore and the color palette you were assigned. Great bracelet my dear!
    {Hugs!}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bracelet just makes me smile. I love all the bright colors and the lion focal is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is what I call a unique piece! Anyone wearing that would be questioned on where they got it by everyone in the room. Fun and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw thank you all so much for the compliment. I really wasn't expecting so much more out of this challenge.

    Erin, thank you for doing this hop event - a newbie like me has much to learn, and Yes I really hope to meet you in person :) Perhaps we can bring Ty or the Little Family along.

    Once again, thank you everyone, this experience has been very fruitful for me.

    love a little more, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing that bit of information about Singapore's iconic symbol and the picture.
    Your piece's are a beautiful representation of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your bracelet, and the information about Singapore! Your balance of color is really very pleasing to the eye. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the yummy palette. but I love all things color. Your designs are wonderful.
    Be blessed to be a blessing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the bright colors of the bracelet! And using the pink sequins is a clever idea. It really represents your color palette so well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really pulled this palette together beautifully - and sequins!?! I love it - very original.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for stopping by and your comments are so encouraging to me

    xoxo, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't look at these colors without smiling! You did such a great job of interpreting your palette - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fitting tribute to your lovely city! Beautiful and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful piece. I really like all the dangles in the bracelet. And the lion's heads fit right in. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic color palette! Stunning designs. I especially like the lion heads, adds an unexpected yet exciting element. Represents your homeland beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow - it's perfect! That big roaring lion cracks me up, but it fits the theme so well! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cool piece! Love the bracelet, I am so impressed with your palette and the way you did it... it's all the more wonderful knowing how important its inspiration is to you :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic job -- especially for a newbie! I think these color palette surprised us ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoa, that lion is intense but I would totally wear it! Great designs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cool and creative jewellery! I like how you included Singapore in your interpretation. There's an interesting contrast between the tough lion and the sweet colours in the bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful bracelet! I'm beyond excited that you used sequins. The pink ones are so pretty!

    In case you're looking for more sequins, I use Cartwright's Sequins at CCartwright.com -- they have such a variety, and their prices are insanely low!

    Keep up the great work!

    -- Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all for the comments. And Sarah, sweet website, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful idea of blending a symbol of Singapore into your bracelet! The colors are striking, and the results are memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job! Love how you incorporated symbols of Singapore in your piece. This piece would definitely turn heads and be a great conversation starter!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think you did your home town justice, as soon as I saw the bracelet I thought of Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My daughter was hoppin with me and loves this gorgeous bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a nice coincidence! I like the story behind your creations.

    Ambra

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful, and a beautiful inspiring story too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well this is good info for me. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete